Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

The Carew Cross

3m E of Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, south Wales
OS 158 SN 047037

Photographs copyright 2002 by Jeffrey L. Thomas

Cadw Guidebook

The magnificent sculptured cross is a royal memorial to Maredudd, who, in 1033, with his brother Hywel, became joint ruler of the early medieval kingdom of Deheubarth, now south-west Wales. Two years later Maredudd was killed and thus we are able to date this stone with unusual precision. On the front of the stone (away from the road), on the left hand of the two rectangular panels, can be seen the Latin inscription:

MARGIT/EUT/RE/X. ETG(uin) FILUS, or (The cross of) Margiteut (or Maredudd) son of Etguin (or Edwin).

The stone's original position is uncertain. It was moved to its present setting this century (the 20th century), slightly back from its 19th century position on an outcrop which projected into the road.

Carew and Nevern are together two of the largest and most elaborate early Christian monuments in Wales. They remain an impressive reminder of the skill of the early medieval mason.

 

     

 

 

Visit the Carew Castle page
Return to the "Other Sites" home page

Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Copyright 2009 by Jeffrey L. Thomas