Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Castell Glas

Newport, south Wales
ST 302 858
aka Greenfield, Maesglas

Photographs copyright 2002 by Laurie Oliver

This raised grassy tump some 25 metres square lies forgotten beside a childrens play area on the edge of a Newport City council estate. D.J.C. King describes the site as having "remains of a low motte, formerly associated with some masonry".

Laurie Oliver has found this interesting mention of the castle on a genealogy web site:

"Margaret Kemeys of Maesglas Castle: married Thomas Doughty, who in 1650 executed a release of Maesglas Castle to Sir William Morgan of Tredegar....." The castle is very close to Tredegar House, (now owned by Newport City Council) but once the home of the Morgans, including the privateer/pirate Henry Morgan

 


Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Copyright 2009 by Jeffrey L. Thomas