Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Hyssington Castle

Powys, Mid-Wales (SO 315 945)

Copyright © by Daniel Mersey

Now remains as a triangular bailey 70m x 45m.  The base of a tower is apparently buried (9m square?) in the low mound of the bailey's northern corner.  Traces of a hall remain in the east corner.  The site was still visible in 1811, but all above ground remains have now disappeared. This site may in fact be the castle of Snead occupied by Simon de Parcio in 1231, and given by Henry III to William de Bowles in 1233. An alternative site for this is Symon's Castle.

 

Additional articles by Dan Mersey

Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Copyright © 2009 by Daniel Mersey and the Castles of Wales Website