Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Llandeilo Talybont Castle

aka Hughes Castle, Tay-y-Bont

Swansea (West Glamorgan), South Wales
OS 587027

Photograph copyright 2005 by Malcolm Ranson

This worn-down, but still impressive motte today overlooks the M4 motorway near the exit for the A 4138 to Llanelli. According to Mike Salter the castle was likely raised in the early 12th century by Henry de Beaumont, and belonged to Hugh de Meules when it was captured by Rhys ap Gruffydd in 1215. Salter points to further references to the castle in 1319 and 1353 as a possible indications that the castle may have been rebuilt in stone.

Due to the castle's proximity to the M4, the site is virtually impossible to visit, but fortunately Mr. Ranson was able to snap the above photo (in motion) from the M4. Thanks Malcolm!

 


Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Copyright 2009 by Jeffrey L. Thomas