Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Llangynwyd Castle

in the town of Maesteg, Bridgend, south Wales
OS 170 SS 852887 R2

Photographs copyright 2003 by Ben Jones.

Above: the only masonry left standing at the castle.

A large, roughly circular mound, surrounded by a deep ditch on all but the NE side, where there was a steep natural slope. Entrance causeway on the NW side. A ruined, turfed-over curtain wall, with the foundations of buildings in the interior, and some dressed stone in the entrance passage. A large bailey to the NW, with a bank and ditch along the NW side. An important outpost of the lordship of Glamorgan in the uplands, but vulnerable to Welsh attack. By 1262 much injured by war, and stormed again in c.1306.

Below: Approaching the castle, and the view back towards the entrance from inside the castle.

 


Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Copyright 2009 by Jeffrey L. Thomas