Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Llanidloes Castle

Powys, Mid-Wales (SN 954 844)

Copyright by Daniel Mersey

The motte dates from 1280, when Owain de la Pole was granted a charter for a market at Llanidloes. The town was laid out with a rectilinear plan, alongside the Severn. The palisade walls were completed with a motte forming the south side (town walls could often be defended by a strong fortification - ie Caernarvon). The motte is 30m across and 3m high, with an oval bailey 60m x 50m, now obscured underneath a health centre. Nearby streams indicate that the town ditch may have been waterfilled.

 

Additional articles by Dan Mersey

Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Copyright 2009 by Daniel Mersey and the Castles of Wales Website