Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Pencoed Castle

east of Newport, near Magor, Gwent, south Wales
ST 406 894

Photographs copyright 2002 by Laurie Oliver

Mike Salter 1991

The moat and round SW tower may be relics of a castle held in 1270 by Sir Richard de la More, and in 1306 by Maurice and Walter de Kemys. It passed to the Morgans of Tredegar in the 15th century and a big new mansion on the east side and the gatehouse on the west side were built by Sir Thomas Morgan in c1490-1500. The gatehouse and corner tower are ruined and the mansion lies in a gutted and derelict state, though still with some flooring and the roof more or less intact.

 

 

 

 


Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Copyright 2009 by Jeffrey L. Thomas